Sunday, October 01, 2006

Seriously...Can there be any more hills and turns in Virginia???

So tonight we are here in Lynchburg, VA. We have been sent here by the place that I work so that we can exhibit at this year’s Superconference being held at Thomas Road Baptist Church. Now don’t get me wrong, I am all for conferences, but this one has already began to take its toll and it is only day two. Let me recap…and in this case recap is a fancy word I will use for complain.

We start off our day Saturday at about 6:00. For some reason happy happy joy joy feelings are not the first thing on our minds. More to the effect of, why are we doing this again? Actually it was more like, how can I make this caffeine in my coffee go straight into my blood so it can get to my brain quicker. We travel down the road for a few hours and now find ourselves in a light rain. I love to travel in the rain, but this wasn’t just a nice little rain shower, for some reason the rain decided to stay with us for the next 10 hours. You know those cartoons where there is a cloud over somebody’s head and it follows them, well picture that and it is over our car.

Now this isn’t so bad at first, but then it starts to get dark…really dark. We begin to take some pretty curvy roads and notice something—the lines in the road are now not able to be seen. What has happened is that the road is so wet and the lights from the cars is making the lines in the road unable to be seen. I find myself at one point straddling the lines of the road. Then begins the fog. Not like a light fog, but like the stuff you see in scary movies. My wife and I begin to realize that driving in this may not be the brightest idea. I started thinking…well I can’t see the lines, I can’t see the road because of the fog, and oh yes it is starting to rain even harder. So we pull over and get a hotel in South Charleston VA.

We wake up and hit the road early the next day, and praise God it isn’t raining and it is sunny outside. But now begins the windy roads of Virginia. I have heard of the hills of Virginia, but I am seriously beginning to get carsick. Now we have a car full of people all saying…please no more turns. My wife said, “I feel like I am on a roller coaster I can’t get off of.” Wow!

Well I finally get us to the hotel we are staying at and then go to set up at the Church for tonight’s conference. Here is even more joy (insert sarcastic voice.) This place is very big and of course I get very lost. Then on the way back to hotel I find out that there isn’t a direct road back…there is a direct road to the Church, but not a direct road to get back home. Seriously!

I do find some joy in knowing that I will get to hear some good preaching over the next couple of days and I will surrender myself to learning something for the Lord. But, tonight, I am going to bed, I am allowing my equilibrium to fix itself, and figure out what classes to take tomorrow.

1 comment:

Mrs. Kristy Rowell said...

Man, Man, Oh Man,
The good windey, twisting & straight curves of Virigina.
I was pregnant with Gracie when my husband ran the booth for Samaritan. The trip was good up until the last 35 miles. Which in reality should have taken only about 45 minutes to arrive at our destination, but took us approx. 1 hour & 45 min.. Going up and around the Mountains, we were only going 5-10 miles an hour. Even then we were getting sick. We would go around one curve and think okay that should be it and it should straighten out now. It felt like it went on forever.. & it did. We got to the College where we were staying and had to get over to the church. All I know is on that trip I had to take lots of Tylenol.
This was at a time when my husband knew that in the near future he would take on a pastorate. Virigina does not have a whole lot of good churches. After that ride, I was silently praying that God would have mercy and not send us around that area. :]
We know exactly what you mean!!
I hope everything comes up.....
roses for you!! lol
What was the crazy thing. We took the trip again 2 years later. Except we had Trey, Gracie and Derek was 8 months old. We were gluttons for punishment.